
Little Starbursts Dishcloth
Hook size: 5.0 mm
Yarn: Worsted Weight Cotton
Gauge: Finished main body = approx. 18 cm x 18 cm
Abbreviations:
Ch: chain
Ss: slip stitch
Sc: single crochet
Dc: double crochet
YO: yarn over
Special Stitches:
Starburst: [Worked over 3 stitches] Draw up a loop in same stitch previously worked in. (Draw up a loop in next stitch) 2 times. YO and draw through all 4 loops on hook.
[Edit: Since so many have requested a tutorial, and I have no idea how to make one :), check out this one on youtube. They call it a "trinity stitch", but it's pretty much the same thing. I hope that helps!]
Main Body
To begin, ch 26.
Row 1: Sc in second ch from hook. Work starburst stitch. *Ch 1. Work starburst stitch.* repeat from * to * across. Sc in same ch.
Row 2-24: Ch 1. Turn. Sc in top of sc. Work starburst stitch. *Ch 1. Work starburst stitch.* repeat from * to * across. Sc in same sc.
Edging
Round 1: Ch 4 (counts as first dc and ch 1). Do not turn. Dc in same sc. Ch 1. *Skip next row. Dc in next row. Ch 1.* Repeat from * to * 10 times. Dc, ch 1, dc in first unused loop of foundation chain. Ch1. +Skip next stitch. Dc in next stitch. Ch 1.+ Repeat from + to + 10 times. Dc, ch 1, dc in last chain. Ch 1. Repeat from * to * 11 times. Dc, ch 1, dc in first sc. Ch 1. Repeat from + to + 11 times. Join with ss to top of first dc.
Round 2: Ch 1. +Sc in same dc. 3sc in next ch 1 space. Sc in next dc. Work starburst stitch. *Ch. 1. Work starburst stitch.* Repeat from * to * 11 times.+ Repeat from + to + around. Join with ss to first sc.
Round 3: Ch 1. +Sc in same stitch and in next sc. 3 sc in next sc. Sc in next 2 sc. Work starburst stitch. *Ch 1. Work starburst stitch.* Repeat from * to * 11 times.+ Repeat from + to + around. Join with ss to first sc. Finish off.
106 comments:
I love this dishcloth :) Very pretty pattern.
Thanks Melissa! And congratulations on being the very first comment on this blog ;o)
Very cute! Going to add this to my faves!
Thanks for sharing
You're very welcome, Jackie! Thanks for the encouragement :)
I love the way this looks. I am going to make one as soon as I get off the computer. Thanks for posting the pattern
Thanks Christina. I hope it turns out well!
Sarah, I just found you through looking for dishcloth patterns on ravelry. Can't wait to try them out! Keep it up - you have a talent for this.
PS I am RockportMo on ravelry.
Thanks maureen! See you in ravelry-dom ;o)
Sarah, I love the starburst dishcloth pattern. I think I'm going to try it as a baby blanket. It will be adorable. You're very creative. Thanks.
Joyce
Thanks Joyce! The baby blanket is a great idea :)
This is so cool! I have to take time from knitting socks to make one of these. Thanks so much for sharing all your great designs!
OMG-I was just about to ask for "better" directions-BUT then I followed the ones you have and VOILA! I am not as challenged as I like to think I am!!!this is an awesome pattern-keep up the great work!!!
Cheryl
Mine's not quite looking like yours-think if I could email you a pic, you could tell me what I'm doing wrong? I just love your and would really like to do some for gifts...help, Cheryl R(SC)
What a great job you did on this pattern. I am making them for Christmas gifts this year and they are quick and easy too.
Wow! Thanks everybody. I'm so glad you like the pattern!
CherylR - Are you on ravelry? If so, you can find me there as "sarahsue". I'd love to be able to help.
I love this pattern! It's so pretty. The gym I belong to has a Christmas fundraiser to purchase gifts for a needy family and I donated some dishclothes as gifts for the moms. This is going to be a nice one to add for next year!
i LOVE this pattern ... can't decide which i like better .. the body of the washcloth or the awesome edging!!! thanks SO much for sharing it!
I GOT IT!!!! The Pattern ROCKS!!!
I've made two of these so far, and plan to make many more. Love this pattern!
Congratulations on your first pattern, and what a unique and pretty one as well.
I also like the idea of making a baby blanket!
Again Congratulations! And thank you for sharing this.
Regards.
Crochet Mom
Love this pattern. It's a challenge to translate it to Norwegian, but I'm soon finished with the body. I hope I understand the edging.
Thanks for sharing.
I'm having a hard time understanding how to do the starburst stitch, (I am still relatively new to crochet,) any chance of a video tute? Thanks.
I am so amazed on your work. Keep up the good work. There are very little crochet dishclothes that I like. I have been wanting one that has stitches close together and not holely, with out having to knit. I am more of a crocheter than knitter. Thanks again and any more you have would be appreicated.
this is called the trinity stitch. it's very pretty.
I found you by accident and am making this dishcloth. It's very pretty and sturdy. I think it will be a nice addition to my stash. I give these as gifts.
It took me a few tries to figure out that the starburst is done over three stitches and not two. But now that I understand that it is going along smoothly and I love it!
I found your dishcloth via Ravelry and I'm sooooo excited to try it. I also want to make a scrubby with the same pattern. It looks like it would make a good scrubbing surface with all the texture. Then maybe I'll make a towel to match!!! I just hope that I can get that starburst stitch!
-Yiskah
doing something majorly wrong.... I finally got the starburst pattern to look right.. but I must be loosing a stitch somewhere because after 16 rows I'm down to 21 stitches across...
posting pics on ravelry..
my username is yiskahsarah
help??
Was having trouble working the star burst stitch.(am new to crochet) I found it very helpful to watch a video on youtube on how to do the trinity stitch, which is the starburst stitch. After that, no problems.
Thank you for the pattern, which lead me to learn this really neat stitch.
aww. i love it - very nice and a new stitch that I learnt- Thanks for sharing!
I got the starburst stitch down but trouble following the edging ..what does skip next row dc in next row mean as in row 1 directions?? does it mean crochet in row below? scratchs head
Too cute. I'm going to make some cancer caps out of this beautiful pattern. Thank you.
I really like this pattern but the instructioins didn't [rint out when I tried. Please can you help me? Thanks. Marilyn Markar54@gmail.com
This is so pretty! Can't wait to try it!
Great new stitch! So pretty and so easy. Thanks for sharing it with us!
you done Good Girl very pretty and Congrats on your first design. You may have a new carreer :)
This is such a pretty pattern! Do you really use it to wash dishes with?? It just seem too nice for such a dirty job.
I love this stitch! Wow, this is your first? Beautiful, and so is the yarn! Adding to my to do list!
I am having a hard time understanding to do the starburst stich. Please help!You have many pretty patterns.Thank you.
Sally
I'm having trouble making the starburst stitch. I need your help. Thanks
Made a baby blanket ,after I watched it on you tube. (trinity stitch) its beautiful, thanks so much. See if I can make a matching hat. Rosie
I love this dishcloth. Love the stitch. I saw a video showing the instructions. Now I can't find it. Can you help. Thanks Dotty D
This is beautiful. I am free today and I'm going to just sit and master this. Thanks for sharing.
I love the beautiful simplicity of the pattern! Thanks for sharing.
Hi!!
Loved this stitch
Gonna try and make one of my baby sweaters with it.
Thanks for sharing!!
Maru
http://marumin64.blogspot.com
This is a beautiful pattern.....I will just have to try it and yes it would make a gorgeous baby blanket. You did a fantastic job.
Diane
I would like to try this, a little nervous about trying the starburst...
thank you SO much! This is very pretty!
I have not purchased any dishcloths for 3 years because of all the wonderful patterns women like you create and share. The dishcloth is also a great housewarming gift in a basket of new home essentials. God bless you talent and generosity.
Ruth
Thanks for sharing! It's really pretty, and I can't wait to make one myself. I am quite new in crocheting, and I was wondering if you would put a video on Youtube like many do. I would be easier for me to follow you. If you do post a video on Youtube, would you email me to let me know? my email is happywhitetigress@gmail.com
Oh I love this pattern!! I have just finished with it and I think it is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!
Well, now that I have seen such wonderful comments, I have got to try this pattern. I love the way it looks. You are a dear for sharing!! God bless and always keep...
Thanks for the pattern Sarah!! I cannot wait to try it!
This is very pretty...but I really never liked dishcloths...Just trying to learn to crochet, and having a problem with the 'feel' of the yarn in my hand. While knitting, I have no problems.
I am in the process of following dishcloth patterns to make a couple of ponchos. I plan to sew them together but I may only have to join the pieces, because I am using huge needles...it makes them look lacy, and very pretty...and the lacy look is really pretty...
I hope to attempt this when I do get comfortable with the crochet hook and the yarn...don't know what the problem is...
This is a very pretty pattern...
Thank you so much...this is a very pretty pattern stitch....I enjoyed putting it together. I did it in one evening...and enjoyed it!!!!
Great pattern and the best to you.
I figured out what I did wrong & since others did the same thing I thought I'd post. My first row would look right but the 2nd row did not. The reason was I needed to shift the 2nd row over. The 1st time I did it my stitches all lined up one above the other, which was attractive but did not give the full starburst effect. By moving the 2nd row over so it was between the 2 below it finally made the difference! Hope this makes sense! Would love to see this done on youtube.
Anonymous... I wonder if that is what I was doing as well! Just like you, my first row would look great and the second row would be "off"... which way are you moving it? To the left or to the right? I asked Mikey from The Crochet Crowd to take a look at it. We'll see. I hope he can do a video tutorial for this pattern.
This just isn't working. I will try it again. This does NOT look the same as the trinity pattern that I see at youtube. The stitch is the same, but something about the rows is different.
Practice makes perfect! This is sooooo nice!
This is sooo awesome! could you please tell me what type of yarn/ color you used? Thanks and... keep stitching!
I had a hard time at first, until I followed the directions _very carefully_.
Here's what I did wrong, I hope it helps:
1)When I turn to start the next row, I was trained to count the ch1 as the first sc and skip that end stitch. Can't do that on this pattern, you have to sc into the very end stitch.
2)You pull through 4 loops on the hook, ch 1, then pull up a loop in the SAME stitch as the last of the 4 loops from the previous starburst stitch, not the next stitch.
3)The 4th loop on the hook should be through the top of the starburst on the previous row, not the space between.
Once I got all that figured out, I actually used a much smaller hook and made a small sponge/scrubber by crocheting tightly and folding it in half (fewer rows, of course) and it turned out wonderfully.
~Patience
Beautiful! I think I have the stitch under control (also thanks to previous comments), but I'm always puzzled whether to draw up a loop through both loops or to the front or the back loop of a stitch (Or change every row..)
Please advice
Marleen
xxx
I made one of these a while ago. Was the first dishcloth I ever made, and my family really liked it. They said they prefer this dishcloth to store bought ones. ^^ So now I'm making a couple more. Thanks for the awesome pattern. =D
Hi Sarah, Loved the patterns I look for new things for my gdaughter to work on shes 11. Shes doing very well. These will be great for her to learn some new stitches. Here is the last one I got for her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbaRNmD5CJ4&feature=related
simple ripple stitch enjoy!. Yes and
http://www.michaels.com/Lily%C2%AE-Sugar-%27n-Cream-Chrysanthemum-Dishcloth/e10377,default,pd.html?cgid=projects&start=1
Thanks, have a great day. sharyn:-)
HI
I'M GOING TO TRY AND MAKE A BABY AFGHAN WITH THIS PATTEREN .
THANK YOU FOR SOMETHING NEW
AJ
HI ,I AM ROSELI ,FROM BRASIL !!!!
I LOVED YOUR CROCHET AND I´M GOING MAKE ONE AFGAN BABY
THANK YOU
I have been crocheting for almost 20 years and this is one of the cutest washcloth patterns. I have already made two! The only difference i made for diversity was the border on step two was just 3 sc in each space of the previous rounds double crochet.It really made the starbursts pop!
Thank you so much for posting this pattern.
I really like this dishcloth and enjoyed making one yesterday. Mine turned out fairly dense and heavy and I think it'd make a great hotpad, if not a dishcloth. I may make the next one with a larger hook, but either way it's a very attractive patten. Your instructions were easy to follow and it just went so smoothly! Thanks for sharing.
I'm in Australia and love crochet - can't wait to try this pattern - its so cute!
This is a wonderful little dishcloth that can be crocheted in a short period of time! We have a crocheting ministry here at our church, we hand out dishclothes to every first time visitor. :-) We are always looking for new designs...so BIG thanks for this one! Love it! will pass this blog along!
Love this pattern! :D Thanks so much for sharing it! I featured it on my blog this morning, along with some other free dishcloth patterns. You can see it here: http://www.mooglyblog.com/2012/02/15/10-great-and-free-dishcloths-and-scrubbies-and-tawashis/#more-550
Such a beautiful pattern. I've added it to our blog post today. Come check it out:
http://sistersplayinghouse.blogspot.com/2012/03/crochet-week-twisted-dishcloth-free.html
Pretty. Wheres the pattern for the starburst? I'd like to try it.
?
Amy
I love this, but I really do not understand the instructions for the edging. How do you skip a whole row?? Please explain!
Sarah, I would like to make and sell these washcloths. It is not for profit, but as a fundraising project for a missions trip our church is taking in January. I will be selling several different kinds of wash cloths, potholdres, scarves, etc. to help raise money for our trip. Would that be alright with you?
Absolutely LOVE this starburst pattern!! Thanks for sharing :)
Looking forward to trying this. My dish clothes are so holy, hoping this will be better.
This is very pretty! Thank you so much for sharing your talent with us. :)
What a fun pattern! Do you mind if I use this pattern as an option for my crochet classes? (I'd include your name and link to your post on the printout.)
-Kristin
http://collectionofcrochetstitches.blogspot.com/
My granddaughter asked me to crochet a scarf for her, so she picked out the pink yarn and I made it in the starburst pattern. It turned out nice and she liked it. She even wore it over a sweatshirt to school.
I have been looking for a crochet dishcloth pattern, I have so many for knit dishcloths, thanks so much, I can't wait to get this one started.
I think you might be missing a single crochet row in between the star stitch rows. I tried it the way you have it written and it just wasn't looking right so I went to youtube and checked out some tutorials and they had a row in between. I was also looking at your ravelry and noticed some other pictures didn't quite look the same as yours. Just thought I'd give you a heads up.
I used this pattern in squares and made the most beautiful throw! Thank you for the pattern? Keep them coming!
Debbie Medearis
I've never made dish cloths, but this looks so pretty I want to try! maybe, just maybe, I can do a home-made holiday this year!
This is adorable! I can't wait to pick up some cotton and make this.Thank you!
Oh how springy looking! It caught my eye right away and aftr I finish the projects that I have going, I'm going to attempt this one! Can't wait!
Dee
Lovely pattern! I'm adapting it to make throw pillows for my granddaughters. Thank you for posting this! :)
Very attractive!
found this on pinterest ty
I just love this pattern.....it flows very nicely. Once I got started, I just couldn't put it down until I finished. Thanks for sharing!
I love this pattern, I want to try to make it in the next day or two... Love the colors as well..Nice job Sara... Thanks for sharing it!! I will watch for more of your patterns in the future!! Have A Nice!!
This is absolutley adorable, thanks for sharing it. I will make it in the very near future.
I simply stumbled across this blog and have to tell you - if this is your first attempt - can't wait to see what you come up as you "grow".
Congratulations and keep up the good work! PS Can't wait to try this pattern.
you don't happen to have a video of how to make this starburst pattern do you? I'm having a hard time understanding the pattern. Please if you don't could you please try and make a video of it??? I so Love the pattern. I make lap blankets for patients undergoing chemotherapy and I'm getting tired of only knowing how to single crochet and double crochet the lap blankets, this starburst pattern will break me outta my mold. Thank you. Dorothy Scrantom
This is simply a nice pattern!
I luv this stitch/look. It is very different from the usual. Im going to give a try as my mom (who taught me the basics years ago) has requested dish/washcloths.oh the irony! Ha! Hears hoping i can follow the pattern. Lol. Thx for ur originality. ;-)
I'm addicted to making dishcloths at the moment, love the stitch and border thank you
I have never worked with cotton thread before, but when I seen this pattern, I knew I had to try it. I started it today and I love it. Congrats on your pattern. I will be making more of these. Thank You!!!
I am a "newbie" to crochet but have done a few simple cotton washcloths. This pattern is so pretty and I am excited to give it a try. Thank you for sharing your love of crochet with others.
I made this into a baby blanket for my soon to be grandson 3 years ago. This is absolutely my favorite baby blanket and my 2 1/2 year old grandson still loves it. About to make another blaket and went crazy looking for the pattern agian. Love, love love it.
this is so cute! thanks so much for sharing. and the idea of making this into a baby blanket is perfect!!!
This isn't starburst stitch, this is trinity stitch. Starburst is similar to this but instead of having four loops on the hook to draw through there are six and you go through the "eye" of the stitch when making one of the loops and there is another row involved to finish the starburst, so this is not starburst stitch you should change it to trinity stitch dishcloth because you are going to confuse a lot of people.
I see some had questions on the edging where it says skip a row. Don't see an answer so it means make the stitch in the ends of the rows you made when making the body of the dish cloth.
Same thing happened to me - very thick and more like a hotpad, especially after washing it and it shrank! I was considering using a bigger hook or increasing the stitch amounts maybe.
I love this stitch! It works up very quickly and the simplicity of the stitch is great and makes such a cute design. Using an H hook makes it very thick and dense, though, so I will either use a larger hook or try to increase the stitch numbers? Any thoughts? Thanks Sarah!
Post a Comment